Friday, June 13, 2014

Lots of Water Below Earth's Crust

Scientists have suspected for quite a while that there was water in the Earth's mantle, trapped inside certain minerals, but there are obvious difficulties in proving that theory.  We've put men on the moon, but the farthest down we've ever drilled is about 40,000 feet, and that took nearly 20 years.  We know very little about the interior of our planet because it is so difficult to obtain any sort of direct observation.

It looks like scientists have found their subsurface water.  There may be entire oceans worth of water bound up inside a mineral known as ringwoodite in the form of hydroxide ions.  I'm not much of a geologist, so I would highly recommend reading the article because I'm not sure I would summarize correctly, but it is nice to know that Earth has plenty of water still in reserve.  We can't get to it, but it's there.

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Cool Golf News

My Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment