Thursday, May 8, 2014

Gamma Ray Lasers

There have been a lot of articles in the past few days about global warming.  It is a serious problem, and we should definitely do something about it.  But you know what?  Sometimes I get tired of reading all these gloomy things about how mankind is ruining the planet.  It's important to know, but there are times when you just want to read something light and frivolous.  Like this.

Sure, a gamma ray laser is still theoretical at this point, and they preface things by saying that it would be incredible useful in medical imaging, but let's not make things too practical here.  A gamma ray laser.  Gamma rays, the most intense form of light there is, with a wavelength of a few picometers, smaller than an atom.  The best part about this is the gain medium, or the part that turns the light into a laser beam.  Positronium sounds like something out of a bad sci-fi movie, but it's a real thing, and I wish I was a scientist working on this project so I could say I work with a positronium laser.  Useful and practical?  Maybe.  Incredibly fun-sounding?  Definitely.

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Cool Golf News

My Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment